Training and Testing
Kel-Tech Safety Services Inc. can arrange individual and/or group on site testing and training for proper safety techniques and procedures, according to the Occupational Safety Standards (OCS) for the following categories:
Spark Watch / Fire Watch
One of the most effective ways to control and even eliminate fire hazards in the workplace is to have a fire and safety (spark) watch trained employee. At Kel-Tech Safety Services we provide training in the critical responsibilities of a Spark Watch. With our help, your Spark Watch employee will be certified and fire hazard aware. We believe a Spark Watch Trained Employee is a valuable asset and necessary requirement whenever welding, mining, and other operations posing fire hazards are done in the workplace.
Our Spark Watch training includes:
- Being able to recognize potential fire hazards while work is being performed, such as welding, burning, cutting, grinding.
- Following all safety guidelines according to the safety permit.
- Maintaining safe containment of flammable materials from ignition sources.
- Proper use and handling of a fire extinguisher, fire hose, or water suppression system while responding to a fire alarm.
- Knowing when to call 911 and activate a fire alarm.
- The presence of mind to stop all operations should a hazardous condition arise.
The employer must provide appropriate respiratory protective equipment if a worker is or may be exposed to concentrations of an air contaminant in excess of an applicable exposure or excursion limit, or to an oxygen-deficient atmosphere.
Kel-Tech helps employers by performing fit tests to ensure that respiratory protection has an effective seal with the face; proper paperwork is completed on fit-tested employees to ensure employer due-diligence. Kel-Tech helps your staff breathe easier.
Fall Protection Awareness Training
Kel-Tech Fall Protection Awareness Training Instructors will guide you through all situations of Fall Arrest, from the different types of Fall Protection, to what personal protective equipment to use and how to calculate Fall Clearances. Our trained instructors will explain in detail what you need to know, emphasize key points, and test your knowledge retention after each step. Having your employees and supervisors fully trained in Fall Protection Awareness shows the employer is doing their “Due Diligence” and that they comply with Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.
Gas Testing Training
Kel-Tech tests all required gases such as Oxygen; Combustible gases; Hydrogen Sulphide; Carbon Monoxide; Sulphur Dioxide and any other gases required. We use state of the art equipment in order to perform accurate testing. Being Kel-Tech trained and tested, enables the employer to feel confident in the safety of his employees and workers.
Gas Testing Requirements:
Testing the atmosphere:
Section 9.25 states
(1) Except as stated in subsection (7), before a worker enters a confined space, the employer must ensure that the atmosphere in the confined space is tested,
(2) The pre-entry testing must be
(a) Conducted as specified in the written work procedures, and
(b) Completed not more than 20 minutes before a worker enters a confined space
(3) When all workers have vacated the confined space for more than 20 minutes, pre-entry testing, as required by subsection (1), must be repeated
(4) While a worker is inside a confined space with a moderate or high hazard atmosphere, additional testing must be conducted as necessary to ensure the worker’s continuing safety
(5) Whenever practicable, continuous monitoring of the atmosphere must be done
(6) If a worker enters a confined space with a moderate or high hazard atmosphere, the employer must continuously monitor the atmosphere if a flammable or explosive atmosphere in excess of 20% of the lower explosive limit could develop.
Confined Space Entry Training
Kel-Tech Confined Space Training Course includes:
- Confined Space Introduction and Regulations
- Hazards of a Confined Space
Pre Entry Requirements including:
- Confined Space Program
- Hazard Assessment and Owner/Client Entry Plan
- Training Requirements and Record Keeping
Entering a Confined Space, including:
- The Entry Permit and On-site Rescue
- Lockout for “Zero Energy”
- Atmospheric Safety and Ventilation
- Interactive Exercises and Tests
- Certificate upon successful completion of course
We Train To The Following Standards:
- Work Safe BC
- Work Safe Alberta
Confined Spaces Provincial Contacts
Confined Spaces has a set of national regulations. However, individual provinces and territories may have introduced minor changes while integrating Confined Spaces with their occupational health and safety regulatory regime.
Here are provincial Regulations for any special Confined Spaces requirements:
British Columbia Occupational Health & Safety Regulation, 296/97, Part 9.8
Alberta Occupational Health & Safety Code 2009, Part 5 46(1)
Saskatchewan Occupational Health and Safety Regulations, Part XVIII 272(3)
Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health Regulation 217/2006, Part 15
Ontario Regulation 632/05 Section 8 & 9
Quebec OH&S Regulation, LRQ, c.S-2.1, Section XXI
New Brunswick Regulation 91-191 Part 17 263(6)
Nova Scotia Regulation 4/2004 Part 12 130 3(b) & 5(a)
Newfoundland and Labrador
Newfoundland & Labrador Consolidated Regulation 70/09
Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulations (SOR/86-304) Section 11.11
Kel-Tech Safety Services
24hr. Emergency Services